The Power Project – Every January
Human trafficking is modern-day slavery. We thought slavery ended years ago. It’s alive and well today with more slaves than at any point in history.
It’s a growing crime. Several crimes, actually. Smuggling is a crime against the U.S border. Trafficking is a crime against a person by force, fraud, or coercion. And many victims are children under 18 who are trafficked for sexual exploitation. Make your voice heard! You have the power to put a stop to trafficking in our state!
HOW DOES THE PROJECT WORK?
Get your students involved to take action with a three step process. Get them to learn, look, and love as they fight trafficking. This project is designed to take place in your town, on your terms, and with your own resources. The Power Project is an incredible opportunity for you and your students to live out missions in your community by focusing on how you can make a difference in the life of a student next door and a student on the other side of the world. We hope you will begin to pray about your involvement. Together through the Power Project, students are going to make a difference in our global community to help in the efforts to end human trafficking.
We hope the Power Project will change your life. And we will be with you every step of the way.
Students will learn facts and statistics about human trafficking so they can be informed and so that they can inform those in their community about the issue. They can use websites, social media, and other resources to help as they go through this journey.
Students will look around their community and the world to figure out where they want to make a difference in human trafficking. They can explore their hometown, the state of Texas, the United States, or even the world. This is your chance to dig in and make a difference. We have several resources below to help you as your begin this process.
During the month of January 2014, you will complete your Power Project. Host an event in your community to raise money or bring awareness. We have listed a few ideas to help you get an idea of what your group can plan.
RESOURCES AND IDEAS
- [LOOK IDEA] For any project or event where you will share information about human trafficking with others, be sure to include information and statistics about human trafficking in your state and region.
- [LOOK IDEA] Share with your church members, or even your friends at school, statistics about human trafficking in your state and region. How can you make a difference at school?
- [LEARN IDEA] Do your research. Learn as much about human trafficking as you can. There are hundreds of websites on the internet. Before looking through tons of sites, you might want to check out www.wmu.com/students for lots of resources to help you learn more.
- [LEARN IDEA] Check out YouTube for videos that provide information about human trafficking. Watch www.youtube.com/user/TakeNoGlory?blend=12&ob=5, a Christian music video about human trafficking.
- [LEARN IDEA] Check out one of the websites below to find out ways to help locally!
- [LOVE IDEA] Plan to do a project with your congregation at church to help them be better informed about the issue of human trafficking, and how the whole congregation can help. Plan a service on January 11th, which is national Human Trafficking Awareness Day. Work with your leaders on what should be included.
- [LOVE IDEA] Create an art show for your church, or a local spot, that helps others understand the issue of human trafficking and what they can do to help.
- [LOVE IDEA] Work with your youth/college group to sponsor a walk/run to raise awareness for human trafficking. Begin or end the run at your church. Set up booths for people to learn more about the issue. Give people opportunities to know how they can make a difference.
- [LOVE IDEA] Plan one or more fund-raisers designed to raise money for a ministry that works with those who have been trafficked and/or works to prevent trafficking. Talk with those who run the ministry to see what needs they have and learn how you and your group can help.
Ministries and Organizations taking a stand against trafficking:
- www.traffick911.com – Organization in the DFW area fighting against Human Trafficking. Has awareness tips and practical steps for action. Connect to serve with their safe house.
- www.restoreavoice.org – Organization in the Austin area fighting against Human Trafficking. Has awareness tips and practical steps for action. Connect to serve with their safe house.
- www.refugeoflight.org – Organization in the Tyler area fighting against Human Trafficking. Has awareness tips and practical steps for action.
- www.newliferefugeministries.org – Organization in the Corpus Christi area fighting against Human Trafficking. Has awareness tips and practical steps for action. Connect to serve with their safe house.
- www.love146.org – Organization that fights human trafficking and promotes awareness among young people.
- www.freedomyouthproject.org – Organization raising money for the trafficking cause.
- www.trade61.org – Ministry creating awareness through t-shirts.
- www.freedomtothrive.wordpress.com – updates on human trafficking and efforts to end it in the southeast United States.
- www.traffickstop.org – Ministry of the Texas Baptists Advocacy Care Department.
Create awareness during the month of January by using one of these graphics as your Facebook Cover picture. Just right click on the picture, save as and upload to your Facebook page. It’s that simple to take a stand!